Thursday, June 12, 2008

City Girl, grub killer!

Just when I was about to get complacent and think it was getting boring around here, what should mine eyes behold? WORM SIGN!!!

Yep, there it was, little bore holes. Lingering saw dust at the base of the plant. Argh!! I'll get you and your little grubs, too!

I went to my trusty Rubbermade box where I keep my pesticides and grabbed the BT. We had a dental irrigation syringe that I fetched from the bathroom. Thus armed I headed out the back door to my little gardening table to mix the cocktail of death.

The directions say to use up to 4 teaspoons per gallon. So, using simple math I get 1/4 teaspoon for my one cup I intend to mix up. I filled up the syringe and took it to the infected plant. I just stuck it, the syringe, right into the entry hole. There was no other damage, it looked like it may have just bored in today. I pushed the plunger and wiggled it around. After a couple pushes I pulled it out and saw something on the end of the syringe. It was the grub!

I then went to inspect the rest of my squash population. I found two more entries. One was pretty fresh, so I tried to get it out the same way. No luck. The other looked as it it had been there are day or two and would require surgery. So I went back into the house to get my box knife. With a full syringe, some dirt and my knife I began surgery on the affected plant. Just like they say in the book, I sliced in and found the little bugger. Emphasis on little, both were still VERY tiny. They are now squash borer squish. May they rest in peace.

In all this excitement we took a close look at the beans and noted a blight there. There will be no rest for the wicked tonight. With some research we think it is a fungus. So, I got out the neem and mixed up a spray bottle worth. Research says I need copper, or sulphur. But since I have neither, I will try the neem and hope it works. If if does not, I guess I will be placing another order.

If it's not one thing, it's another. Gardening if very suspenseful and heartbreaking. Since I had the neem mixed up, I just sprayed it on the tomatoes, just in case something wants to blight that, too. It's this hot weather. What happened to spring? Over 95° in June? It's just not fair, I tell you, not fair!

With a prayer to the vegetable gods, I leave in good faith. Later taters!

1 comment:

Oberon said...

.....with a payer to the vegetable gods?.....you forgot the r in prayer.